Monday, January 12, 2009

The Golden Globes

As much as I love sports and sporting events, I also enjoy the "girly" things, like Awards shows. The Golden Globes are typically a really fun event because they're a bit more casual. Well, maybe casual's not the right word. I mean everyone is still decked out and fixed up (maybe a LITTLE much on the hair, Drew!) so maybe off-the-cuff is better. They tend to have an "anything goes" feel versus the more serious Oscars. Plus, they honor both television AND movies!

Last night's Globes didn't disappoint in that area, although I was concerned the camera crew or director were on crack at one point. Not the best I've seen technically. I digress, though...

Some things I noted...
First of all, Heath Ledger's win for his performance in The Dark Knight. I thought his nomination was definitely deserved and MAYBE he won because of his untimely death, but he won! The director of The Dark Knight accepted the award and gave a beautiful speech on Heath's behalf. It was a very heartfelt moment.

I was incredibly excited for Kate Winslet's not one, but TWO wins, although her first speech was rather boring. Do you have to mention EVERYONE's name? Her 2nd go-round, she was even more emotional and incredibly sincere, giving love to Leo and her director husband, Sam. I saw tears in Leo's eyes!

I also loved the real emotion from winner Sally Hawkins. She was sincerely grateful.

It was fun seeing Steven Spielberg awarded just because of the video montage of movies he's been involved in. Funny thing...during most of Spielberg's speech, I was wondering why they were showing a beaming Drew Barrymore so much. I kept asking myself what movie of his she'd been in. I kept picturing her as an adult and couldn't place it. Finally, it hit me, oh yes, ET! Duh!

The ad libbing from many presenters made for lots of laughs! Don Cheadle making fun of Brad Pitt being dumb in "Burn After Reading", Colin Farrell making a reference to his former "habit", Tracy Morgan's acceptance speech for 30 Rock's win and everything Ricky Gervais said.

As always, cable shows and movies I don't watch or haven't seen won, but it always makes me want to see them and I've actually HEARD of most of the nominees this year. I'm hoping to see Slumdog Millionaire soon! I'd already heard it was excellent and apparently it was rightly rewarded by taking home four Globes.

As for the fashion, most everyone looked incredible. I loved January Jones, Anne Hathaway, Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate & Amanda Seyfried to name a few. As for the men, gotta love them in tuxes! Bruce Springsteen looked incredible and Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Leonardo Dicaprio all looked very handsome and classic. I even loved Ashton Kutcher in all black! However, I agree with the writer at E! who picked Johnny Depp as Hottest Presenter and said, "he seemed like he just woke up from some sexy dream, and because Glenn Close looked like an excited schoolgirl when he came onstage. Trust us, it ain't easy to get Close to squeal."

2 comments:

Brian said...

Death or no death, it's a pretty big deal that a comic book movie won a Golden Globe. I can't remember it happening before (maybe Jack Nicholson for the same role?).

Ricky Gervais makes my side ache. Cracks me up.

I would have bet money a couople years ago that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip would outlast 30 Rock. Missed that one.

Johnny Depp defines cool. He seems like he really doesn't care, and I'm drawn to watch him not care all day.

The Casady Clan said...

I agree with all of the above! I still miss Studio 60 and wish it would have been given more of a chance!